oracne - Victoria Janssen (oracne) wrote,
oracne - Victoria Janssen

progress report: revisions

I wrote lots and lots more on paper on Friday and Saturday; if I got stuck, I started another scene, not wasting time on transitions. Saturday night, I started typing, with a scene added to the end of one of the early chapters. I edited and expanded as I typed, and finished the scene; it ended up being about 1600 words.

Wrote a little more on Sunday, made notes, and did some more small edits on the printout before typing, typing, typing, this time in the section of the manuscript that needs the most work. I felt like the two characters were sitting still talking for too long, but I can edit later this week, hopefully. I don't have the luxury of refining until it gleams, alas. That was another 1600 words or so last night.

I still have some handwritten material I have to type, and I need to write another scene with stableboy and duchess' first lover to replace one that was removed.

I think it's slower writing by hand and then typing, but in effect it's giving me two passes over the material, which is a good thing, since I might not have time to do a full read of the manuscript before I send it in. Also, if I hadn't pulled away from the document to write those new scenes, I might have remained frozen and not gotten anything done at all.
Tags: the duchess, writing process

  • back to the grind

    I'm back at the dayjob and have sort of clawed through most of the stuff waiting for me; I went to the gym last night for the first time in over a…

  • Down the Publicity Rabbit Hole

    I've been consumed in the last day or so with arranging publicity for The Duke and the Pirate Queen. Yes, I know it's not out until December 1, but…

  • AGH!!!

    I had to order some research books recently, and some of them have already arrived. Others were shipped by...drumroll...UPS, otherwise known as You…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded